Skip to main content

A Novel of Spiritual Education


I remember reading Harry Potter as a kid and not really enjoying it. I found it to be a chore but I finished it because my friends seemed to enjoy it a lot. I ended up very disappointed and watched the movies to see if I’d missed something. Though the films were good, I was still not a fan. I’ve since rewatched the movies and I’ve warmed up to Harry Potter a little bit. My main issue then was the world building. I didn’t understand the limits of what existed in the Harry Potter universe. I had many questions, such as: how are there trolls and goblins yet none of the normal people know about them? I didn’t quite understand the border between reality and fantasy within the Harry Potter universe and frankly, I still don’t. 


I like certain aspects of Harry Potter, the films in particular capture some good magical moments. A famous example of capturing the magic would be the scene where Harry departs from platform 9 3/4 and enters the train to Hogwarts. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frankenstein by Mary Shelly Mary Shelly is responsible for creating one of the most recognizable horror stories of all time and for that, I highly respect her as an author. However, I'm not the biggest fan of her original writing of Frankenstein.  My opinions on Frankenstein are completely the result of me growing up in a time where this story has been re-told and parodied countless times. I enjoy the tale of Frankenstein in its extremes; whether incredibly dark or a lighthearted parody, doesn’t matter. Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, though the original tale, simply felt boring to me. I read it before in high school and hardly remembered a thing about it. I figured I would have come around since then but nothing’s changed. I just thought it was rather boring, plain and simple. There were two moments in particular in the writing that frustrated me. The first was a potential plot hole; when Frankenstein’s Monster is giving exposition to Frankenstein he describes his life t

Cyberpunk/Steampunk

This is a weird topic for me because I love cyberpunk but I’m not a fan of steam punk. Very few things have pulled off steam punk for me, most of which are video games and some books. Movies never seem to do it quite right. In terms of reading, the Edge Chronicles was my favorite book series growing up, with crazy monster designs and lovely illustrations to accompany the writing thanks to Chris Riddel. The steam punk attributes to the Edge Chronicles universe actually blended quite nicely, with imaginative airships powered by float stones instead of balloons and unique steam-punky outfits the crews would wear. My favorite example of cyberpunk is Blade Runner, Ridley Scott’s film adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Everything about it is the definition of cyberpunk—it is so beautifully realized. 

The Fiction of Ideas

The idea of using language as a weapon is incredibly bizarre and I wouldn’t have thought a book would try to tackle the concept, but hey, Babel 17 does just that. Now, I have heard of the concept before but only in the video game Metal Gear V: The Phantom Pain where the story was, well, bad. The idea was that a disease of some sort was spread by an underground military group and this disease would respond to a certain language spoken by killing the host. Not a bad idea, but it wasn’t explored to its full potential. At least now I know where Metal Gear potentially got the idea. Babel-17 approaches the “weaponized language” concept in a different direction as it’s more of a boon to the user than a bane. Someone who learns the language Babel-17 has their brain rewired to think in the language, which is so precise that the user can think a mile-a-minute and describe intricate scenes in mere moments. Babel-17 tackles the concept of the self and whether we as people can ever truly un